Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Root Beer Pulled Pork

Made delicious Root Beer Pulled Pork tonight thanks to Gina.

We ate this with a side of steamed asparagus with a little butter, salt and pepper and some yummy seedless watermelon.  Both me and Bobby really liked the flavor of the meat, because of the root beer I added to the sauce you do get a little root beer flavor, but if you didn't know what it was you would just interpret it as a different kind of sweetness coming from the sauce.  I will make this again for sure although it could have used a little more heat for me, so I think next time I'll add some cracked black pepper to the sauce.




3lbs pork roast (I used two small tenderloin roasts)
20 oz root beer (I used Mug because that is what the little grocery store here carries, any brand will do)
18 oz prepared BBQ sauce (use your favorite, I used Sweet Baby Rays Original)
1 T Worcestershire Sauce
2-3 T Water

Place the roast in your slow cooker (if there is any fat on the meat make sure it is facing you so the fat can run down the meat and help keep it moist while it cooks) pour 2/3-3/4 of the root beer over the roast, cook until it shreds easily (probably about 6-8 hours on low).  Remove meat from the juices/root beer in the slow cooker and discard juices from cooking.  Just prior to serving pour remaining root beer in a large pan (I use this one in the "butter"color, because after all, it is Paula Deen cookware), cook over med-high heat 5-7 minutes or until reduced by half.  Add the bottle of BBQ sauce to the pan.  Put the water and Worcestershire Sauce into your BBQ sauce bottle and shake it up, add mix to the pan.  Remove any residual fat from the meat and chop/shred meat to your preferred consistency, then add to the pan.  Fold all together until the meat is covered in sauce.  Serve on your favorite roll (Bobby picked our rolls, so they were, of course, potato bread).


There is a TON of this leftover, I'm thinking I might try my hand at a take on Applebee's wanton tacos with what we have left (and if I do, I'll post all about it).

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

I've had something similar made with coke and ketchup, and this one sounds delicious too. I'll have to try it. Happy 4th!